With the new PS5 just on the horizon, there are many questions that have surfaced regarding the console. We just had a full hardware teardown of the console and we know all about the specification of the next generation PS5.
We know that the games will run on native 4K 60 fps (minimum) with support up to 8K. We know about the SSD, the powerful chip, and the large heat sink to cool everything down. But the bigger question rests on the software side of things.
We have had no information about what kind of an OS will the PS5 incorporates. We also have no idea about the kind of DRMs (Digital Rights Management) that the games will ship with this time. DRMs basically make it harder to pirate the system. So, the biggest question of them all is, Will the PS5 has a jailbreak?
What is Jailbreak?
For people living under a rock, A Jailbreak is a process of modifying the system code and installing a new firmware that lets you access pirated games. The main reason behind Jailbreak is to make sure that the system runs pirated games smoothly and saves you some good amount of cash!
Advantages and Disadvantages of a Jailbreak
The major advantages of Jailbreaking a PS5 would be:
- High Priced games will be able to Run Smoothly and they will be free!
- You will be able to enjoy classic PlayStation games with software emulation.
- You can even reformat the code and use your PlayStation as a server computer.
- You will be able to customize the UI and get the best out of the system as a whole.
Jailbreaking really sounds cool, right? Well, there are some flaws that come with the jailbreak. We saw these flaws with the PS4. And they are:
- You cannot go online with a jailbroken system. If you do go online, your account will be banned from the PSN
- You won’t be able to download any new games from the PS Store. You need to wait for the pirated crack.
- Multiplayer games that need online access to verify and play will no longer work in a jailbroken system.
- Your warranty will be void and if there are any hardware errors after you do a jailbreak, you will be responsible for the console’s damage. Sony will not give you the warranty claim.
Will the PS5 have a jailbreak?
The main reason the previous console, the PS4 had a jailbreak was that the software security in it wasn’t tight enough. And only up to the firmware 7.51 was the jailbreak possible. PS4 system after the 7.51 update does not have a jailbreak.
So, it is very hard to predict whether the PS5 will have a jailbreak or not. We know that the PS5 will also run a Linux kernel just like the PS4 did so, that would mean the system will definitely have some ways that hackers can use to bypass the security.
There are probably some hackers who have begun working on it already. But it isn’t really a given. The PS5 will definitely have a jailbreak at some point but it can happen pretty late. For instance, the PS3was considered to be ‘unhackable’ but at the end of its a life cycle, hackers managed to get past its security and run pirated games smoothly.
The PS5 will definitely have increased security than the PS4. It will also have some additional DRMs added to all of its games so, hackers will have a tough time cracking it. Even PC games are now filled with so many copyright protection systems such as “Denuvo” that it makes it very difficult for hackers to crack the games.
Therefore, the real question is not ‘Will the PS5 get a jailbreak?’, the real question is ‘When will it get a jailbreak?’ and we think that it would take a minimum of one year after the console releases. You can expect the hackers to work their magic and get the PS5 a jailbreak at around late 2021.